Diese Informationen sind leider nur auf Englisch verfügbar.

Work visa for new foreign employees

As a rule, all foreigners from outside the EU require a visa for stays in Germany of more than three months or for stays intended to lead to gainful employment. This visa has to be obtained in the respective home country before entering Germany.


Citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland have the right to live and work in Germany. After arrival, they just need to register with the appropriate office of the town hall (mostly called “Einwohnermeldeamt” or “Bürgeramt”) at their place of residence in Germany.

Nationals of the states which joined the EU on 1 May 2004 and 1 January 2007 must register in their future place of residence in Germany at the registration office (“Einwohnermeldeamt” or “Bürgeramt”). Depending on the employment they must apply for a work permit at the Employment Agency (“Agentur für Arbeit”) together with the employer.


What is the procedure for applying for a visa?

You have to apply for a visa at a German consulate or the German embassy in your home country.

They will contact the Foreigners’ Registration Office (“Ausländeramt”) of the city where you plan to spend your stay.

The visa will be issued only after the Foreigners’ Registration Office has granted its approval. It can take several weeks (or even months) for a visa to be issued, so make sure that you apply for it well in advance!


Visa application forms on the internet:
The visa application form is often available on the webpage of the German embassy or consulate abroad to which you must submit your application. Here you can find the office near you.

Find general information about entering Germany:


What else has to be considered?

As soon as you are in Germany you will have to register at the “Bürgeramt” (Local Public Office) of your place of residence in Germany within one week. Once you have selected an accommodation, you need to go to the “Bürgeramt” again, to have the corresponding adress registered.

Your visa is always only valid for three months. Therefore you must apply for a “Aufenthaltstitel” (residence permit) at the responsible “Ausländeramt” (Foreigners’ Registration Office) of your place of residence in Germany shortly after your arrival.

For questions do not hesitate to contact us!

Email: Admin.HR@h-its.org
Phone:+49 (0)6221 – 533 – 280