The “HITS Stiftung” is a foundation vested with legal capacity. Its primary purpose is to provide base funding for HITS. Other purposes include:
- Organization of scientific and outreach events in the context of HITS’ agenda.
- Cooperation with international research organizations for promoting scientific exchange and interdisciplinary research.
- Funding of research projects.
- Funding of scientific awards.
- Providing scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students.
The Council of the HITS Stiftung consists of
- Representatives of the Tschira family.
- The President of the “Wissenschaftsgemeinschaft Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz e.V.”
- The Managing Director of the Computer Science Research Center (FZI), Karlsruhe.
- The Director General of ESO.
The Managing Directors are Andreas Reuter (Heidelberg University) and Wilfried Juling (KIT).