Software Developer Position in the Research Group “Scientific Databases and Visualization” at HITS gGmbH (HITS-02-2020)
The Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies was established 2010 by SAP co-founder Klaus Tschira (1940-2015) and the Klaus Tschira foundation as a private, non-profit research institute. It conducts basic research in the natural sciences, mathematics and computer science with a focus on the processing, structuring, and analyzing of large amounts of complex data and the development of computational methods and software. The research fields range from molecular biology to astrophysics.
The SDBV (Scientific Databases and Visualization) group at HITS is a partner in the Task Force COVID-19 of the German research data infrastructure for personal health data (nfdi4health), that aims to make it easier for experts to find COVID-19 studies and exchange relevant research data. With this aim, the SDBV group is adapting its SEEK data management platform (https://seek4science.org) that is developed together with partners in the UK and Germany. In this context, the SDBV group at HITS is looking for a flexible and science-interested
Software developer (m/f/d)
What qualifies you for this job:
- Technical degree (university or university of applied sciences) with experience in web engineering and software implementation
- Interest in interdisciplinary communication and in supporting researchers in their work by applying an agile software development approach is key, as well as pragmatism and an interest in providing usable software.
- Ideally, you are fluent in a convention-over-configuration framework such as Ruby on Rails or e.g. in Spring, Spring MVC or J2EE
- You should be interested in interdisciplinary, multi-site (inter-) national collaboration
- You are fluent in English
The environment of this job:
- A full-time position (project-funded) for initially 2-years with the possibility for prolongation given suitable external funding
- Working in a team at HITS composed of SDBV scientists with a background in biology and biochemistry, as well as software developers and computer scientists
- Highly interdisciplinary collaboration within the group and with the project partners in nfdi4health, including data experts, epidemiologists and clinical researchers
- Interaction with the diverse national and international users of the developed tools and services, as well as with colleagues and collaboration partners worldwide
- Flexible working hours for an equalized work-life-balance
The SDBV group is attractively located in the “Mathematikon” next to the Heidelberg University and University Hospital.
The HITS benefits:
- Employer subsidy for cafeteria meals
- Subsidies for continuing education and Training
- Various retirement and health care benefits e.g. company pension scheme, supplementary occupational health insurance
- 30 days of paid vacation
- Free beverages
- And much more
Inquiries should be addressed to
PD Dr. Wolfgang Müller, Email: email@example.com, or to
Martin Golebiewski, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The position is available from now. To apply, please submit the following documents at: LINK
- Cover letter with possible start date and desired salary
- Curriculum vitae
The post should be filled as soon as possible. We are looking forward to receiving your application.