|Tel.: +49 (0)6221 – 533 – 247
Fax: +49 (0)6221 – 533 – 298
- Scientific Director of HITS (2015-2016)
- Group leader of the Molecular and Cellular Modeling (MCM) group at HITS
- Professor at the Zentrum für Molekulare Biologie (ZMBH), Heidelberg University
- Group leader in the DKFZ-ZMBH Alliance
- Group leader at the Interdisciplinary Center for Scientific Computing (IWR)
Rebecca Wade studied at the University of Oxford (B.A. Hons. in physics, 1985; D. Phil. in Molecular Biophysics, 1988). She then did postdoctoral research at the universities of Houston and Illinois, primarily in biomolecular simulation, before taking up a position as a group leader in the Structural and Computational Biology Programme at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) in Heidelberg in 1992. Rebecca Wade set up the Molecular and Cellular Modeling Group at the EML (later EML Research and then HITS) in 2001. She was Adjunct Professor at the International University in Germany in Bruchsal from 2001-2003. She was appointed full Professor at Heidelberg University in 2012 and is a member of the Faculty of Biosciences.
In the Molecular and Cellular Modeling group, our main focus is on proteins and finding out how they interact with their molecular binding partners and function. We develop and apply computational approaches to address questions such as: How do proteins recognize and distinguish their binding partners? How tightly and quickly do they bind? By what mechanisms do they bind? Can binding partners and binding modes be predicted? Our studies are mostly based on the three-dimensional structures of macromolecules. We aim to make concerted use of bioinformatics and physical simulation approaches in order to develop methods for understanding how biomolecules work and aiding the rational design of therapeutic agents. Techniques cover a wide spectrum from interactive, web-based visualization tools to complex molecular and Brownian dynamics simulations. Applications range from in-depth simulation studies of particular proteins to large-scale computational analysis of protein families.
- Associate Editor: Journal of Molecular Recognition; PLoS Computational Biology
- Section Editor: BMC Biophysics
- Editorial Board: Journal of Computer-Aided Molecular Design; Biopolymers; Current Chemical Biology; Protein Engineering, Design and Selection; Computational Biology and Chemistry: Advances and Applications Modelling Society; BBA General Subjects
- Member: BIOMS (Heidelberg Center for Modeling and Simulation in the Biosciences) Steering Committee; “Cellular Networks” Excellence Cluster (CellNetworks), Univ. Heidelberg.
- Faculty: HGS MathComp Graduate School, Hartmut Hoffmann-Berling International Graduate School of Molecular and Cellular Biology (HBIGS), Univ. Heidelberg
- Member of Scientific Advisory Board: Leibniz-Institute for Molecular Pharmacology (FMP), Berlin-Buch (since 2013); Max Planck Institute of Biophysics, Frankfurt (since 2015)
- Mentor: BioMedX, Team SKI – Selective Kinase Inhibitors, Heidelberg (since 2013)
- Councillor (2010-2012): ISQBP (International Society of Quantum Biology and Pharmacology)
- Recipient of the 2004 Hansch Award of the QSAR and Modelling Society
- Recipient of the 2016 ISQBP Award in Computational Biology